Thursday, July 28, 2016

Innersense lives up to the organic hair hype

For about a year now, I've had Innersense Organic Beauty on my green beauty wishlist. All of the green beauty Instagram community seems to be raving about it, so I can't believe it's taken me so long to try it. Lucky for me, Innersense sent me five of their fabulous hair care products (Color Awakening Shampoo, Color Radiance Daily Conditioner, Sweet Spirit Leave-In Conditioner, Quiet Calm Curl Control and Harmonic Healing Oil) to take for a test drive.

If you're unfamiliar with Innersense, let me fill you in on what you've been missing. It's a line of cruelty-free, "pure, organic and toxin-free products that are handcrafted from a rich combination of carefully selected, certified organic and biodynamic plant extracts, rich in emollients and nutrients, and high in antioxidants. [Innersense] products are built to restore the hair's natural balance, leaving it healthy and full of body and shine."

I have to admit that I'm really impressed with this high quality hair care line, starting with the Color Awakening Shampoo and Color Radiance Daily Conditioner. Just like the rest of the line, these daily, 100% color-safe products are free of toxins, sulfates, PEGs, ethoxylates, phthalates, parabens, resins and silicones. They gently cleanse and revitalize/nourish your hair and scalp.

Although I haven't colored my hair in more than a decade, I can still appreciate the tender loving care these products provide my delicately thin strands. I just adore the experience of bathing my hair and scalp in this luxurious combination of coconut, palm oil, pumpkin seed oil, shea butter, sunflower seed extract (it's high in antioxidants to prevent color from fading), rooibos tea, echinacea flower essence, frangipani, lemongrass, aloe leaf juice and citrus peel oils. This shampoo smells amazing (seriously, the citrus really wakes me up in the morning and brightens my day), and balances my hair and scalp. It gets my hair clean without drying it out.

This shampoo's partner in removing hair grime is the Color Radiance Daily Conditioner, which "revitalizes and nourishes color treated hair. Handcrafted from certified organic and biodynamic extracts of rice bran oil and oat kernel, rich in nutrients. Rice and soy proteins, high in antioxidants, restore hair's natural moisture balance. Sunflower extracts protect color from fading, organically restoring hair's natural balance, leaving hair healthy, hydrated and full of body."

I was pleasantly surprised by the richness of this daily conditioner. It has a light, possibly floral scent that I enjoy breathing in while it coats my thirsty strands. After a few minutes on my locks, it washes out easily, while still leaving just enough slickness to help detangle my hair with ease. Don't worry, as my hair doesn't look slick or greasy once dry. This conditioner also doesn't weight down my hair. It just leaves in soft and silky.

If your hair is thirsty for more, may I recommend the Sweet Spirit Leave-In Conditioner. It's a lightweight detangler that adds hydration and shine after your shower. Just mist this "infusion of emollient oils, rich in nutrients, fragrant herbs and flower essences" into your clean towel-dried hair and use it on dry hair to rejuvenate or style it. This conditioner is lighter than the daily conditioner and smells so lovely like a fresh bouquet. However, I sometimes have trouble getting it to spritz out of the pump. Then again, it's totally worth the effort to apply it to my hair, as needed, when the pump gets a bit clogged. I also don't fear that it will leak when traveling.

The leave-in conditioner is one of the three treatments/styling products I received, all of which provided stellar results. The other two include the Quiet Calm Curl Control and the Harmonic Healing Oil.

I used to have curly hair, until I had kids (pregnancy straightened most of it out). I still have a bit of wave in some areas, which mainly just leaves my hair prone to frizzing, especially on hot humid days. Therefore, I've been occasionally using the Curl Control in place of the leave-in conditioner. It defines the slight amount of wave I have left, but it also keeps any frizzy pieces under control. It also has a delicious citrus scent.

Last, but not least, is the Harmonic Healing Oil Soothing Treatment for Skin, Hair and Scalp. This combination of "certified organic tamanu, safflower, and evening primrose oils, abundant in vitamins, minerals, nutrients, proteins and antioxidants, creates a rich healing treatment for skin, hair and scalp." The herbal scent has an aromatherapy calming effect that relaxes the mind, while soothing my scalp. It great for healing dry scalp and hair after a day swimming in the sun. I've been sleeping with it on my hair and scalp at night to combat the effects of the sun and chlorine from the day. It's a bit heavy to leave in my thin hair throughout the day, but it could work to tame thicker hair.

I'm so happy that I finally had a chance to try all these Innersense products. I totally understand the hype. What's your favorite Innersense product? Let me know on Twitter at @Rawdorable and/or Instagram (also @Rawdorable).

* Although Innersense Organic Beauty sent me
these products, all opinions are my own :)