Thursday, March 31, 2016

Zaya skincare reveals my inner goddess

During my blogging break, I was testing products, including some eco-skincare from Zaya (I received a face cream, eye cream and eye oil). I've been anxious to share my thoughts.


Zaya is a Canadian brand, created in their own facility, using only natural, wild-harvested and organic ingredients. They make sure that no synthetic ingredients enter their manufacturing site, and the process is animal-friendly and kind to the environment. The packaging is made of recyclable and environment-friendly materials, such as carton boxes made out of 100% recycled paper and printed with soy ink. Even the bottles are made from high-quality dark violet glass to help preserve their products.


The main product I've been using is their Willow-Herb & Raspberry Oil Face Cream. I was actually a bit nervous to apply this and the other two products to my skin, since they do contain wheat germ oil. I'm sensitive to gluten, so I wasn't sure how I'd react. I thought it was important to note, because, although products containing wheat germ oil can be labeled as gluten-free, various Celiac groups recommend avoiding it. Lucky for me, I didn't notice any negative reactions.


This face cream is very light for an oil-based cream. It's organic, vegan and packed with good-for-you ingredients, such as jojoba oil, raspberry seed oil, evening primrose oil, neem, wheat germ oil (which is also labeled as just vitamin E on some other brands, so consider that for future reference), willow-herb flower extract, honeysuckle extract and ylang ylang essential oil. I love the soft floral scent (from the oils, of course) and the way it absorbs into my skin.

It did take my skin a few days to adjust to it (one of the hazards of being a beauty blogger). I broke out slightly at first, but it wasn't anything drastic; it cleared up quickly and resulted in clear, glowing skin. The biggest thing I noticed is how it leaves my skin in perfect balance. It provides just enough moisture without being too heavy. My skin feels like it did before I ever needed moisturizer (or any type of skincare routine). My combination skin is singing praises for this one.


The other two products I received from Zaya, included an eye cream and an eye oil. I have to admit that I've reached for the eye cream the most, so I'll review that one first. The Zaya Black Ederberry & Cranberry Oil Eye Cream is also organic and vegan. It contains natural ingredients, like jojoba oil, cranberry oil, avocado oil, neem, wheat germ oil, black elderberry flower extract, honeysuckle flower extract and rosemary essential oil. It works much like the face cream and is similar in texture. The scent is slightly sweeter and fruity.

This eye cream also took a couple days for me to really see the benefits. I was concerned that it wouldn't soften my fine lines (yes, this old lady has some crow's feet from smiling too much), but I saw a major improvement with daily use. It made me look well rested and smoothed out my lines. I also was able to wear it under makeup without any issues.


As for the eye oil, I've only used it before bed, so I can't say whether or not it affects makeup wear. The Zaya Rosewood Eye Oil is organic, vegan and packed with a short, but sweet list of ingredients. It contains sweet almond oil, rice bran oil, macadamia nut oil, pomegranate oil, wheat germ oil, jojoba oil and rosewood essential oil. It really is the sweetest smelling of the bunch. It's a treat for the eyes that leaves me looking refreshed when I wake up in the morning. It's absorbs well and doesn't clog my pores. It also helps remove any traces of makeup I may have missed while cleansing my face.


My favorite thing about this line is the beautiful artwork on the packaging (as seen in the photo above; this photo is from the Zaya website). I didn't get any of the larger oils that come with the fashion art on the bottles and boxes, but I had to share them anyway. There's a different "Zaya Goddess" depicted on each oil blend, whether it be for the face, eyes, belly, body, hair or nails. Zaya actually recommends saving these decorative boxes as "work of art" to store your works of art.

Have you tried Zaya? What are your thoughts? Let me know on Twitter at @Rawdorable and/or Instagram (also @Rawdorable).


* Zaya sent me these products for review. All opinions are my own :)