Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Slide into Spring w/sustainable Starch Slides

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know about my current obsession with Starch Slides, the sustainable, comfortable footwear made out of upcycled button-up shirts. The idea just blew my mine; it's genius.

Starch Slides gorgeous founder Shannon Crowley (pictured above in her slides; all photos in this post are from the Starch Slides Instagram page) has done something I only dreamed of doing. She's created a sustainable and eco-friendly brand that's also very fashionable.

"Living in Brooklyn I noticed textile waste at an enormous amount," she states on her website. "Every trashcan I would pass would have perfectly good textiles thrown in them. Everything from ripped jeans to a pile of stained or ripped shirts that thrift stores cannot accept. Seeing this, made me think, there must be something that can be done. This is how starch slides was born."

Starch Slides are actually made out of those unwanted textiles, specifically unwanted button-up shirts. Each shirt provides enough fabric for one small (size 6-7), two medium (size 8-9) and one large pair of slides (size 10-11). That means, when you see a pair you like, you better act fast before it's gone. This also ensures that your slides will be as unique as you are.

These shoes are well-constructed. The fabric is lined with vegan leather for comfort and to keep your foot secure and supported. The sole is made with durable eco-friendly materials.

To eliminate the waste of a shoe box, all Starch Slides come in a reusable, raw, jute backpack (the above photo is was taking by a Starch Slides customer; I personally hope a similar pair comes available in the future).

Starch Slides are also very fashionable, as I mentioned a billion times already. Just look at their sleek design. I'm a big fan of the pinstripes, like the ones seen above, but they also come in other fun patterns and prints. Recent pairs are even named for various musicians. I mentioned that I had my eye on The Cobain, but that's not the only one. I need to narrow down my wish list.

If you see a pair you like, you probably want to order them soon. You also might want to post the pair that caught your eye to your Instagram page asap, since Starch Slides in giving away some slides this week. Check out Starch Slides on Instagram for more information about how to enter.

As always, you can find me on Instagram at @Rawdorable and on Twitter (also @Rawdorable).

* Starch Slides did not ask me to do this post. I'm just in awe of this concept.