Thursday, June 11, 2015

My Colourful Smoothies in the challenge so far

For all you foodies out there, here's a recap of all the Colourful Smoothies I have made so far, as part of Charissa's #ColourfulSmoothie #Challenge on her blog, Colourful Palate (I snagged this header off her site and had my way with it; I'm sure she doesn't mind me using it and cutting off the "announcing the 2015" part). I love how it inspires me to make creative smoothies each day for the month of June (thanks Charissa for hosting this and talking me into the challenge again).


In the past, I made smoothie recipes from Charissa's site, but this year, I opted to go with the flow and make what I felt like whipping up in the moment, starting with this berry melon smoothie (I just happened to be cutting a watermelon when I was convinced to start the challenge). It contains watermelon, almond milk and Philosophie Berry Bliss Vegan Protein & Superfood Powder, which is actually one of the prizes up for grabs (Love Philosophie products). You'll notice that I never measure anything; I just add my ingredients to my Tribest Personal Blender and blend it.


On day 2 of the challenge, I still had watermelon, so I blended it with frozen strawberries and more Berry Bliss powder, resulting in this vibrant and yummy slushie. To get this consistency, I didn't add any liquid, relying on the water content of the melon to help blend it.


Day 3 of the challenge, I was craving chocolate, so I blended frozen banana, almond milk, and Philosophie Cacao Magic Vegan Protein & Superfood Powder until smooth. Then, I pulsed in some Simply Balanced Dark Chocolate Trail Mix and garnished the smoothie with some more trail mix on top.


On Day 4 of the challenge, I found some frozen zucchini in the freezer and had a brainstorm to make a Zucchini "Bread" Smoothie. I blended frozen zucchini with frozen banana, almond milk, almond flour (I thought it would give it some texture, like zucchini bread), Philosophie Green Dream Vegan Protein & Superfood Powder, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla. I topped it off with more almond flour and cinnamon.


One of my favorite smoothies so far is the AB&J (almond butter and raspberry chia jam) doughnut hole-inspired concoction that I also posted on my blog. It contains frozen banana, almond milk, almond flour, cinnamon and Philosophie Berry Bliss Coconut Butter. I made sure to layer and swirl in some more of the fresh raspberry chia jam and Jem Organics Cinnamon Red Maca Sprouted Almond Butter. I even topped it with a doughnut hole.

Day 6 of the challenge was a very spontaneous smoothie, made out of the leftover batter from Tallulah Dawson's Coconut Fudge Pronut recipe I found on The Body Book website (I love this site). I just blended some of the batter with some coconut water and drank it with a pronut. Yum!

Day 7 of the challenge was inspired by a recipe I saw in Jessica Milan's Lookbook Cookbook (love how she combines food with fashion photography) and the Wild Poppy Juice I picked up at Target. I blended the Grapefruit Ginger Wild Poppy Juice with frozen mango and Philosophie Berry Bliss powder. I took the photo with me in it, like the Lookbook Cookbook models.

Day 8, I had a simple PB&J smoothie made from frozen organic grapes, natural peanut butter, almond milk, vanilla and Philosophie Berry Bliss powder. I drizzled the inside of my smoothie container with more peanut butter and topped it off frozen grapes and even more peanut butter.

On Day 9 of the challenge, I used another Wild Poppy Juice as the base of my layered smoothie. I blended Peach Vanilla Wild Poppy Juice with frozen mango and peaches to make the middle layer of the smoothie. I reserved half and blended the other half with some Philosophie Green Dream powder. Then, I blended more of the juice with frozen strawberries and Philosophie Berry Bliss powder. I layered it all in the original juice container. I really need to get a funnel.

Yesterday, I made an Upside Down Strawberry Kiss smoothie, which looks like an upside down strawberry kissing the fresh strawberry garnish. The bottom layer is Grapefruit Ginger Wild Poppy Juice blended with frozen mango and Philosophie Green Dream powder to represent the green top on a strawberry. The main berry layer is more juice, frozen strawberries and Philosophie Berry Bliss powder. I stirred in some hemp seeds to look like berry seeds. It was almost too cute to drink.

I'm now a third of the way through the challenge. I wonder what smoothie I should make today. Is anyone else participating in the challenge? Let me know on Twitter at @Rawdorable or on Instagram (also at Rawdorable).

*So you know, I was not sent any Philosophie products for this post. I'm just a fan of the brand :)