Thursday, February 12, 2015

Chocolate-Covered Berry Cookies

In my last post, I mentioned that my Berry Bliss Philosopops made with Philosophy Berry Bliss products were my latest obsession, so of course, I went right into the kitchen to make more. However, this time, I increased the amount of freeze-dried strawberries (I tripled the amount to give them a more intense pop of color) and styled them just right for the occasion.

Chocolate-covered strawberries are perfect for Valentine's Day, which is why I shaped today's pops into heart-shaped berry cookies. I sprinkled them with hemp seeds to mimic strawberry seeds, dipped them in chocolate and finished them off with Philosophie Green Dream Coconut Butter tops. Too cute. My daughter even helped with the process (I waited until she got home from school, so please excuse the bad lighting).

To make the "unbaked" cookies, I just added 1 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup Philosophie Berry Bliss Superfood Powder, 3/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries ground into a powder, 2 Tbsp. Philosophie Berry Bliss Coconut Butter, 2 Tbsp. Philosophie Berry Bee Honey, 1 Tbsp. almond butter, and sea salt and vanilla to taste (vanilla always makes me think of baked goods), to my mini food processor. Then, I processed my ingredients into a sticky crumb.

Using my hands, I molded the crumbs into a dough and pressed it out on a piece of parchment. When I was happy with the thickness, my 5-year-old daughter (that's her hand in the pic above) and I sprinkled the top of the dough with hemp seeds, pressed the seeds into the dough and cut out heart-shaped cookies (depending on the size of your cookie-cutter and dough thickness, you should end up with 14-16 cookies). We piled all the cookies onto a plate and put them in the freezer while we melted the chocolate.

We melted some dairy-free chocolate chips in a double boiler, as shown.

Then, one by one, we dipped the pointed side of each cookie in the melted chocolate, as if we were dipping chocolate-covered strawberries, and set them on some parchment.

To make them look even more like strawberries, we decorated the tops with some leaves formed out of softened Philosophie Green Dream Coconut Butter (just set the jar in some warm water to bring the coconut butter up to temp).

Lastly, we put them in the fridge to chill/set, with the exception of some testers (we just couldn't wait to try them). They were delicious!

*Just so you know, I purchased all the ingredients myself. I'm just a fan of the Philosophie brand.